5 Easy Tips For Keeping The Holidays Healthy!! November 26 2014, 2 Comments
- Divide your plate: ½ of your plate should be vegetables, ¼ protein and the last ¼ starch. I know the picture below isn’t very pretty (I found it on google) but you can see how to divide up the plate!
- Use a 9-inch plate: instead of eating on the standard 12-inch plate, this plate size tricks your mind into thinking you are eating larger portions than you really are.
- Only fill your plate one time. There will be leftovers that you will probably be eating on for a couple of days so when you actually sit down to thanksgiving remind yourself that this is not your last chance to get in all of your favorites and if 2 hours after dinner you are still hungry go back for more protein and more vegetables!
- Spilt dessert, make a healthy alternative or eat a smaller portion size. I like to pick one food item each holiday and make that my cheat instead of an entire meal; dessert is usually what I choose because you really can’t beat homemade apple pie. I tend to try and make my main meal as healthy as possible and then really enjoy my dessert that way I am satisfying my cravings without going overboard!
- If you do go a little overboard find something active to do as a family: go for a walk, ride bikes, play football/basketball/catch, or take the kids to a park and run around after them for a while. Any activity is better than no activity!!
I would love to hear your plans for Thanksgiving are you going to indulge, eat healthy or find a happy medium?!