This week I am feeling pretty dang old (yes I do realize I am only 26 BUT this is the oldest I have EVER been, lol)! Not because of a birthday or anything but because I am approaching my two year wedding anniversary and this time of year ALWAYS reminds me of when I was 15 falling in love (with my now husband), cheering at football games and having slumber parties with friends afterwards. Now I look up and realize I am married, out of school (a long time) and now my Friday nights are spent on planning for my company and enjoying a bottle of wine… When did this whole adult thing happen?! I mean I don’t even have a good reason to have Halloween candy in my house! I guess there are worse things I can be in life than an adult but that still doesn’t stop me from wishing I could turn back time every now and then! Speaking of being an adult…. I have finally reached the point in my life were homemade soup is no longer an luxury item but a must! Canned soups just don’t do it for me anymore, too much sodium, too many preservatives, not enough of the good stuff: protein and vegetables. So last night around 8pm I got the urge to make soup (see there is that whole adult thing again) my husband usually doesn’t get off from work until 11-12pm so I had plenty of time to play in the kitchen!** (see below for side note). So on to that great recipe of beef and cabbage soup!
Cabbage and Beef Soup
- 1 pound of lean ground beef (I use organic)
- 32 oz of beef broth (low sodium)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 a head of green cabbage
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of garlic, chopped (or 3 cloves)
- 1 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes*
- 2-4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano**
- 3 tbsp of dried basil
- 2 sprigs of fresh parsley**
- In a large pot on medium to high heat add the garlic, onion and celery and stir! Then add in the ground beef and cook until the meat is browned and cooked all the way through. Add in 1/2 the can of whole peeled tomatoes (more if you would like but half a can was perfect for me), tomato paste, beef broth, remaining vegetables and seasonings (sooo add everything else)! Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling bring the soup to a simmer and cover, cook for 20 minutes. Then remove from the stove, let cool and enjoy!
- I also made a side of barley (1 cup of barley and 2 cups of water in another pot so my husband could add starch to his soup and mine could stay vegetables and protein only)!
- *I just used half the can, you can break up the large tomatoes with your stirring spoon. You can add the whole can if you would like but I didn't find the need.
- **I have a little herb garden (that I will be sharing soon) so I like to use fresh herbs but dried herbs always work in a pinch!!
I love this soup because the vegetable options are endless! I actually bought bell peppers and zucchini to also add but my pot was so full that I had to leave them out!
My husband HAS to have a starch with every meal! He keeps telling me he is a growing boy, apparently I am not the only one who has a problem with growing up! So I love to cook a side of brown rice, pasta or in this case barley and lentils in a different pot so he can add as much as he would like to his bowl and I can keep mine just protein and vegetables! #worksmarternotharder
Nothing says Christmas is coming like a hot soup! I do have to confess a christmas song came on from my playlist the other day and I just didn't have the heart to change it! I am soo ready for Christmas time, last year I was a bit of a Scrooge but THIS year has already got me in the Christmas spirit! What do y'all think? Does this soup look cozy or what!?! I can't wait to hear from you! Love, Marla ** Side note: yes his late schedule used to bother me at first but now I just plan my day for an extra 4 hours of time I can work on building my company. You see most people’s day ends around 5 because of family obligations but I treat 5pm like a coffee and snack break and I continue working until 9-10ish and then prep for dinner. It’s a weird schedule but I get my best work done at night so this is actually a positive and the whole 'throwing yourself into work' helps me not miss him as much!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.