Garlic Hummus January 08 2015, 2 Comments
Hummus is just one of those classic recipes that we should all have on hand for last minute get togethers, sandwich spreads or even an afternoon snack! And until yesterday I was not one ‘those people’ but after realizing how easy this was to make I am never going to stress about what to bring to a party again! Even though Hummus has an awesome nutrition profile: high fiber, protein, vegan/vegetarian friendly and contains omega 3’s!! We still need to be a little mindful of portion size! Roughly (depending on the brand or the ingredients used) hummus has about 100 calories per ¼ cup and while I don’t think calories are the most important part of eating healthy, calories can definitely add up and sabotage your best efforts for losing weight. Whenever we go to Hungry’s restaurant (which is usually 1-2 times per week) I can’t help but order the Hummus appetizer, to lighten up this dish they will bring you extra cucumber sticks and not bring out the pita bread (thankfully) which helps with the indulgent factor! The best things to dip into your hummus are: Cucumbers, carrots, celery, bell peppers, tomatoes and whatever other vegetables available! Now on to that super easy recipe …
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 3-6 cloves of garlic, personal taste
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 3 tbsp of tahini
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- dash of salt
- Optional: parsley flakes to garnish
- Drain and rinse chickpeas then place into the food processor along with lemon juice, tahini, salt, cumin, 1 tbsp of olive oil and 2-3 cloves of garlic. Process hummus until well combine and give it a taste test. At our house we love garlic so I ended putting about 5 cloves of garlic but 2-3 cloves tastes amazing as well. If the hummus isn't as creamy as you would like add 1 tbsp of water and process. Then add the last tbsp of olive oil and process until well combine.
- Plate hummus and feel free to add another tbsp of olive oil for presentation and some parsley flakes or just serve and enjoy!!
After everything had been processed.... oh happy day! I drizzled some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled some parsley flakes for added flavor and presentation Life is just better when you are eating hummus, don't cha think?!
What is your favorite way to eat hummus?