Healthy Baked Apples January 06 2015, 0 Comments
- Maple syrup (pure maple syrup, grade B, the darker the better)- While no sweeteners are truly low carb or super healthy, maple syrup has been found to have much lower carb-density – 67 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams vs. agave that has 76 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams. Also, in a recent study by University of Rhode Island researchers, they found maple syrup has a ton of phytochemicals that are power antioxidants and can play an important role in the anti-inflammatory process in the body as vitamin C. My information is coming from a new book out by a registered/licensed dietitian who has studied and worked is GI disorders and the FODMAP diet. I love this book because it is actually based off of research not just opinions! You can look into the 21-day tummy diet cookbook here.
- Pecans- any nut will do
- Dried cranberries- this ingredient is optional but I liked the added sweetness
Now on to today’s recipe!
- 6 apples- I used organic Fuji apples (because they were on sale) any type of apples will work
- 1/2 cup of pecans (or any nut), chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tablespoon of grade B maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and wash and core the apples.
- Mix together the pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and cranberries and then stuff the mixture into the apple core.
- Place the apples in a baking sheet and fill the bottom of the baking sheet with 2 cups of water.
- If you have extra stuffing mixture you can add it to the water for added flavor.
- Put the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 25- 40 minutes (I checked at 25, 30 and 45 minutes) my apples were larger so it took the full 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes then enjoy!
I used a small pairing knife to cut my circles but this process is a little difficult so I would recommend an apple 'coring' knife to make this more simple and save time!! What the apples look like filled! In to the oven they go!!! Hot out of the oven! My house smelled soooo amazing!! The inside.... words cannot express my love!!! My cheerleader minnie couldn't stay away ...Behind the blog with Miss Bear!
What is your favorite dessert?!