Healthy Cabbage Salad (Coleslaw) August 21 2015, 0 Comments
Happy Friday! I don’t know if there is anything better than closing down another week and looking to slow down the pace for the weekend! Although, our weekends lately are rarely slow due to a million and one projects that need to be finished out in our townhome and Ryan's crazy busy hospital schedule(I guess this is adult life right)! The DIY bug has bitten me lately and nothing is safe! I even spray painted my k-cup holder gold (Ekk!) and when my little world gets in perfect order or as close as possible I will be sharing all the fun stuff here like my office, our master bedroom, guest bedroom and living room because why not?! Home décor is definitely not something I am an expert in but it is so much fun to play with! Now on to today’s recipe… This healthy coleslaw is something I posted about a couple of months ago but since then I have made the other recipe a few times and wasn’t crazy about it so it definitely needed a redo and here we go! Guys… gals…. Toddlers and tiaras….. this coleslaw is my jam! After taking photos it just so happened to be lunchtime and this is what I
ate devoured! I know I always say this but this is a perfect party addition, easy to throw together, is very colorful, crunchy and light to eat! I also could see this being served at a BBQ or birthday party that is during the summer due to the crisp flavors but we had it with lightly seasoned halibut last night and it was perfect so don’t think you have to throw a shindig to enjoy this recipe! For my peeps looking to change-up their boring, tired lunch options you could easily throw this together on Sunday and eat it throughout the week with an Applegate chicken sausage or whatever protein you had for dinner the night before! Ok enough convincing let's get to that crazy amazing recipe!
- 1/2 a green cabbage head, shredded
- 1/2 a purple cabbage head, shredded
- 1/2 an onion, shredded
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup of green onions, finely chopped*
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of chopped almonds
- You can just easily chop all of the ingredients, throw into a bowl and mix but I went a little different route this time. I used my food processor to finely shred the onion, carrots and the purple cabbage so they were super small. Then I used my knife to shred/slice the green cabbage to give the salad different textures, larger pieces and a bigger crunch factor. Then I chopped up 1/2 cup of the green onions (you could also get away with only doing a 1/4 cup or none if you don't like them. Added the cider vinegar and the olive oil, salt, pepper and mixed the salad until well combine! Then right before serving I topped the salad with the chopped almonds so they stayed crisp and didn't get soggy!
I can't wait to have this salad again today for lunch! Luckily it just gets better the longer it marinates so you could easily make this salad the night before a party and that is just one less thing on your to-do list the day of! What do you think? Are you a lover of coleslaw and cabbage? I would love to hear from you!