Who doesn't love Mexican food?! I definitely do! Nothing is better after a long week (or day) than meeting my husband at Escalante's Mexican restaurant, that is literally a block away from us (!) Unfortunately, my favorite tableside guac and red wine sangria isn't the most bikini friendly option. Why does something so good have to be so bad?!? In fact it seems like almost everything on the menu at Mexican restaurants are ticking calorie bombs and that is the sad truth! Although, I do have my favorite 'semi-healthy' go-to options like the tortilla soup, chicken fajitas and the mini pulled pork tacos with onions, we all know making it at home controls what they put in your food (i.e. hidden sugar/fat to make that soup and pulled pork taste so amazing) and doesn't come with an endless supply of chips! So the next time you are ready for a food fiesta stop and give this taco salad a try! Honestly, you could also add a few tortillas to this bad boy and make tacos out of them for an easy family style dinner. This salad is a great alternative to the unhealthy ones you find on the menu at Mexican restaurants and is also the perfect alternative if you're tired of boring salads with grilled chicken. My recipe makes about 8 servings, so make this salad on Sunday and your dinner is complete for the entire week!
Healthy Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I bought 95% grass fed)
- 1/2 a head of iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 cup of frozen organic corn
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup salsa for whole salad or 2-3 tbsp for 1 single portion (used for dressing)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned. While the meat is browning I like to start seasoning it as we go with a dash of cumin and a dash of chili powder every now and then to really flavor the beef. Once the beef is 99% cooked, add in the onions, corn, tomatoes and seasonings and cook until the vegetables have softened. Remove from heat and set skillet aside.
- In a large bowl shred romaine lettuce and cabbage and then add meat, avocado and cheese to salad bowl and mix until well combined
- Top with salsa (if you're planning on serving the entire salad, add all the salsa to the salad, but if you're just going to have 1 serving, only add about 2-3 tbsp salsa to your portion, not the entire salad....it can get very watery, so leftovers won't be as tasty)
- 1/4 cup of shredded Mexican cheese
In a skillet on medium-high heat sauté the ground beef until cooked thoroughly and then add in the corn, onions and tomatoes Shred the lettuce and top with cabbage!
Now add in all the amazing toppings.... Time for salsa!! Toss the salad and enjoy!! Perfect salad to bring to parties and gatherings!
Lastly, this salad is perfect to make ahead and freeze the meat for an easy mid-week dinner option!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.