Thanksgiving Menu: Sweet Potato and Pineapple November 17 2014, 0 Comments
I’ll admit I am not a fan of sweet potatoes … I know it is weird coming from healthy foodie but I just don’t enjoy eating them, until this recipe! Today we are featuring my Aunt Mika’s recipe for sweet potatoes and pineapple rings. You will love this recipe because it is the perfect substitute for your traditional sweet potato pie!! Get rid of that pie crust and replace it with pineapple slices, this recipe will definitely help satisfy your sweet tooth! The thing I love about these pineapples is that they are small and individual portion size! I also love that this recipe includes sweet potatoes and pineapples to help make things a little healthier!! This recipe does have not so healthy ingredients as well but as long as you are choosing organic and using whole ingredients I don’t mind indulging a little during the holidays, it is all about portion control!!
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, mashed and cooked
- 1 #2 can sliced pineapples, drained
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- About 10 miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, orange juice, pumpkin pie spice, pecans and raisins into a large bowl and mix well. Place pineapple slices into a 9x12 inch baking pan and add a scoop of the mixture on each pineapple ring. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, remove from the oven, add marshmallows and bake 5 minutes longer.
My nephew Michael loved mashing the sweet potatoes, we were even treated to sound effects!
The leftover mixture, you will have leftover ingredients which will decrease the nutrition facts of the recipe!
Ready to go in the oven!!
Loved this recipe!!Love, Marla