It is time for one last semi- healthy holiday treat right before Christmas and this one is also vegan friendly! With so many treats being passed around during the holidays this is one that you can feel good about eating. The key is using wholesome/real ingredients!! Have you ever looked at the ingredients in the funfetti cake mix?!!? Or the icing that goes with it?! Scary stuff! Even though these cupcakes are still considered a treat you are making a better choice by giving your body real food!! Now one to that amazing recipe!
Vanilla, Vegan Friendly Cupcakes!
With so many vegan cupcake recipes out there and none that were just perfect and came up with my own!!
- 1 cup almond milk and 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of vegan butter
- 1 1/4 cup organic sugar cane
- 1 1/2 cups of vegan flour (veganic sprouted rye flour) + 1/4 tsp xantham gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- one small container of your favorite sprinkles!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter
- 2 cups of powdered sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- splash of almond milk (if needed)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare your muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- 2. Measure out the almond milk and the lemon juice and set aside to 'activate'.
- 3. Add butter the the mixer and cream for 1-2 minutes and then add in sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- 4. Sift all of your dry ingredients (omitting the sprinkles), one at a time, together into a bowl.
- 5. Then alternate pouring in the almond milk mixture and the flour mixture evenly into the butter and sugar and mix until smooth without any lumps.
- 6. Then add in sprinkles and mix by hand with a rubber spatula until well combine.
- 7. Divide batter evenly into the cupcake liners (be sure to only fill the liners about halfway or just slightly over).
- 8. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes and check cupcakes with a toothpick. When the cupcakes are done the toothpick will come out clean.
- 9. Let the cupcakes cool and start working on the frosting!
- 10. Add the softened butter to the mixing bowl and add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, tasting along the way to the desired amount of sweetness. I used 2 cups of powdered sugar on mine, add in the vanilla extract and mix until smooth. If you find that your frosting is becoming dry, add in a small splash of almond milk.
- 11. Once cupcakes are cooled, frost and enjoy!
- * I made the frosting the night before and defrosted it in the microwave for 30 seconds the next morning, they still tasted great but the frosting wasn't as smooth to work with.
- *Inspired and adapted from minimalist baker and vegan recipes from food.com
- *Nutrition is a rough estimate and ALOT higher than they would really be due to leftover frosting and batter- I will learn how to fix this! These cupcakes should be around 150 - 200 calories each, at most!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.