Zucchini Pizza Boats! November 06 2014, 2 Comments
Now on today’s recipe: Zucchini Pizza Boats!!!
- 6 Large Zucchini
- 1/2 pound of lean (93%) ground beef
- 16 oz can of italian tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of mozzarella
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh basil
- Optional: Sprinkle of parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Saute ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. While beef is cooking, wash zucchini, trim and discard the stem and blossom ends. cut in half lengthwise.
- Using a small scoop, carve out the middle or 'meat' of the zucchini. Set aside the zucchini skins or boats.
- When finished cooking, remove the ground beef from the skillet and place in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Place the zucchini meat, chopped onion and garlic on the skillet and sauté until soft.
- In the same mixing bowl as the ground beef, add the zucchini mixture, tomatoes and seasoning, combine well.
- Place the zucchini boats evenly on a baking sheet or baking pan and scoop the mixture evenly into the zucchini boats.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes depending on how large your zucchini are.
- Remove from oven and let cool, then place boats onto a plate and serve!
- The zucchini are best served the same day as they are made due to the zucchini being soft, but I ate them for lunch the next day and found they were fine heated up!
- If you have left over meat mixture you can freeze it and use it as a sauce for another meal.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then brown the ground beef in a skillet on medium heat. I never add any oil to my pan when browning beef, there is enough fat so the beef won't stick and this also saves unnecessary calories!! While the beef is browning wash and cut the ends off of the zucchini.
Then cut the zucchini length ways and scoop out the zucchini insides also called the zucchini meat. I used a metal tablespoon to scoop out the middle because it won't bend and also it is small enough to get in the middle without ripping the edges.
Place the zucchini skins or the 'boats' to the side.
In the same skillet you browned the meat, add in the zucchini meat, yellow onions (as you can see I used red onions in this photo), and garlic. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Then place the vegetables in a mixing bowl with the beef.
Add in all the other ingredients into the mixing as well, including: tomato sauce, mozzarella and seasonings.
Line the zucchini on to a baking sheet or pan and scoop the mixture evenly into the zucchini boats. Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how large your zucchini are.
Miss Bear is the best sous chef! she is always right next to my feet praying that something falls on the floor
She thinks I am the best cook of all time, even being so nice as to 'whine' and lick her chomps when something is coming out of the oven!
Once the zucchini boats are done, let them cool and use a spatula to place them on a plate and serve!!
Since the zucchini gets a little soft they tasted the best right out of the oven but we did have leftovers and I had them the next day for lunch and the soft zucchini didn't bother me like I thought it would.
Have you ever tried Zucchini Pizza Boats?!!Love, Marla